Sunday, August 16, 2026

I've Reached the Age

I saw a preview for a movie the other day. It was a British movie about a married woman who started saving money for a trip to Greece (i think she was a housewife, so she was squirrling away money she saved from what her husband gave her for groceries and such). Her husband and daughter think she's crazy and are hugely upset about this dream of hers. Her friend that she was going to go with apparently can't, but gives her a present for having the courage to go. From what I gathered, she does go.

The thing that struck me about this trailer was so often both the woman and the people around her kept saying "you're 42!" with varying levels of incredulousness. The message seemed to be "you're 42, you're married, you've raised a child, you have fulfilled your purpose, therefore you should not have any more dreams and just need to accept that your life has passed and get on with the (long) process of dying, taking care of the house and your husband, and being grateful for what you did have." My question is: was this really how people thought/is it still how people think?? I couldn't help but look back on my own life through that lense. No children, only recently married, traveled the world, friends on different continents, good job, great friends... I can't imagine being in that woman's shoes. I am hugely grateful for being able to live the life that I have, and I can't imagine believing that it's over now that I'm 42. 

Then I thought of some of the people I know who got to 42 before me. Seems like something fairly pivotal happened to them. I'm pretty sure older sis and BIL quit truck driving when she was 42. My friend A came with me to Europe when she was 42 (and she hasn't aged a BIT in the years since, btw). I'm pretty sure my parents separated and started the divorce process when they were 42... no wonder Douglas Adam's chose that as the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything. Seems to me perhaps one phase of life ends around 42 and another begins. I'm not expecting anything crazy to happen this year... but if it does, I'll manage. There's a ton of things that could happen (bad and good). I'm just excited to see what happens. 
This happened when I got back to the ranch. I got it back over and I tried to anchor it again.
Let's see how long it lasts. While I was busy with this, mister wheeler was incensed that I wasn't playing fetch with him.
I tried to wear him out, but he might be un-wear-outable.
The paw over the nose!!! So cute!!!

I have another thing that has been bothering me. My dentist has told me that I need a night guard. Last year I had the bare minimum insurance, so this year I upped it thinking maybe it would be covered. My dentist said they checked with insurance and it would only be $136 for me. I said let's do it. We did it. I got a bill for over $300 more for said night guard. I paid it and disputed with insurance. I got something back that said we would pay for one IF you had this certain dental surgery first. Now. Did the insurance lie to my dentist? Or did my dentist lie to me? Did my insurance say one thing to the dentist and another to me? WHERE did the breakdown happen?? Cuz when I go to check my benefits there is NOTHING about ANYTHING on there. Basically insurance is a scam, living is too expensive, we're all gonna die on a barren wasteland due to data centers, so what's the point of anything?? 

On the other hand, why does paying $400+ for something that is supposed to help me keep my teeth chafe so bad?? Why will I drop that amount on bags, clothes, and earrings but LOATH spending it at the dentist? Is it because it's all at once? Or is it because I feel lied to? I pay for insurance all year, why doesn't it cover things like this? And why do teeth need their own insurance anyway? Why is this all acceptable? Viva la revolution!! I'm so tired of trying to live in a society that was made to keep people down.

Anyway... I've been watching my friends animals for YEARS now and this was the first time I've used their pool.
Imma do a swim... blub blub. I tried to rock the Martha Stewart thirst trap... how did I do??
The pups were my lifeguards
I forgot a towel. But I remembered water, my phone, and a book! Been reading "the devil and Sherlock Holmes" by David grann and the weirdest thing has been... he is writing about things that have happened in my lifetime. Usually I'm reading about historical events, bit these are from the 90s and 2000s. It's WILD. I guess I'm just THAT old now, too.
 
Poor pups are exhausted.
Lies.... they lie
They want attentions.

Hubby came out on Saturday and we wandered downtown, then went to have lunch.
Hehe, hubbs found his ancestor
Good beers
Good brat... with angry jalapeƱos
The on to whiskey woods for some more food
Good cheese board!

Then hubbs came out to the ranch with me. He fed with me, which was fun. Then I took him back to the van. He went home and I went back to the ranch. It was REALLY nice to see my hubby. I missed him. 

Sunday I got up with the pups, did all the feeding, swept up the house, took out the trash, and loaded the car. The plan is going to Mass at 1130, then home from there. Looking forward to being home after a week away. I hope you're all doing well, sending tons of love from TX.

No comments:

Post a Comment